Phase 1: Getting started
June 20, 2017: The idea!
I just got back to Vietnam a couple of days ago, and I still am feeling jetlagged. Before headed for the States, I joined a coding cohort on slack called Chingu. I’m a part of the Chingu-Walrus cohort, but really I didn’t do much of anything that whole. One of the projects that I was supposed to do was build a slackbot. But to be honest, the other person in my team and I both didn’t really have any good ideas so it kind of fell off. Fast forward to today, it was 2am when I woke up for the day (#jetlag) and had this idea I really wanted to do.
Recently, I’ve been thinking of trying to use slack for my English classes that I teach. I was inspired by this cohort idea and really wanted to try to get my students and other friends around the world into a (language) learners group. So my idea for the bot is to be an aid that helps the user facilitate their language learning. I want it to be able to:
- Activate when the user copies text
- Show the user the google translation of the word
- Prompt the user to save this word and translation
- Prompt the user to share the translation for confirmation or feedback
- Allow other users to provide feedback
- Allow the user to confirm and save feedback
- Allow the user to view recents and all words saved
- Allow the user to export as CSV for uploading to anki / any flashcard service
I’m really excited to have an idea that is directly applicable to the work and projects I already want to do. I guess good things can happen at after 2am (Ted knows nothing #HIMYM).